Isaiah 58 :3-14
What is fasting?
Fasting is going without food or drink. We have the partial fast/Daniel fast which involves liquid but no food and the absolute fast, no food and no liquid.
What is the purpose of fasting? Why do we fast?
Repentance, Revival, Deliverance, Godly Intervention, Healing
Benefits of Fasting
Weight Loss, Decreased blood pressure
Brings down the flesh
We become aware in the spirit
Our faith increase
Increase in discernment
Addictions are broken
We receive wisdom and direction from God
Is fasting necessary now?
Yes. Jesus said when ( definite article) you fast, not if. (Matthew 6-16-18)
Certain spiritual conditions are solved by fasting (Mark 9:29)
Also Jesus didn’t expect his disciples to fast when he was with them (Mark 9:14-15)
Man shall not live by bread alone (Mark 4:4)
Does God answer all Fasting and Prayer? We cannot take our fasting receipt to God and ask for a blessing. Its not a formula but a relationship. Fasting is a means to an end, not an end in itself. It is supposed to draw us closer to God.
- The fasting has to be done the right way (Isaiah 58:3-6)
- It has to be in the will and timing of God ( 1 John 5:14)
- It should be done in humility (Psalm51:17 ). Fasting that brings Humility touches God.
Biblical Scriptures where God answered Fasting and Prayers
- 2 Chronicles 20
- Nehemiah 1:4
- Esther 4:16
- Acts 13:2-3
- Ezra 8:21-23
- I Kings 21:27-29
- Mark 2:18-20
- Daniel 9:3
- Jonah 2 :7-10
Biblical Scriptures where God did not answer Fasting and Prayers
3. 2 Samuel 12:16-18
- Don’t fast to please people.
- Fast according to the leading of the holy spirit and your strength
- During fasting, fill your time with prayer and the word. Your spirit becomes open so be careful what you open yourself to.
- Be sensitive to the holy spirit as you fast.
- The anointing of God on you will increase when you fast
- You become strong spiritually (Isaiah 40:31)
- Consult your Physician before fasting if you are on medication
1.What is the mystery between fasting and receiving your request from God
2. What kind of spirits are broken when you fast?